Monday, March 7, 2005

a heavenly way to die

I've just recently discovered the music of The Smiths, being a kid of the 90's deprived me of experiencing good music coming from the 60's, 70's, and 80's... Strangely enough, my first encounter with this 80's brit rock band wasn't on a radio, or on TV, or for that matter, any other medium that will allow me to actually hear music. I've never even heard their music yet I became an instant fan.

It was because of a white t-shirt with the words "And if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die."

I was struck by it. After I saw those words, I immediately took out my cellphone and copied them to my message box. When I got home, I googled the words to find out where it came from. I didn't stop until I finally found what I was looking for because I knew that my obsessive-compulsiveness will not allow me to sleep if I left a thought hanging on my mind.

I've been writing songs since way back when I was about ten years old I think, although it was mostly crap and I've never really allowed anyone to read or hear it because I was too embarrassed to let someone else read my thoughts and feelings. When I was in high school, I always got bored in class so I take out my pen and paper and blocked off everyone (and everything) else and I wrote songs. Each time someone tried to take a peek over my shoulders, I would... wait, this is getting too personal... Why did I even start talking about me? Where was I? Oh google, The Smiths... yeah... I'll get back to that.

(awkward silence)

Okaaay, back on topic... I found out that the words came from the song "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". Only a genius would have been able to come up with lyrics like that, so even without knowing how the song and the band sounded, I became a convert. I would later find out that they didn't sound anything like April Boy, so that's good to know...

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

It's lyrics like these that make me feel good, as morbid or romantically dreadful as they may sound. It's songs like these that make me a frustrated musician.

5 complaints:

jweng said...

i remember you mentioning these lines to me before. and i said they were morbid. they're still morbid. but yeah...romantic, maybe even more than sappy love ballads or teeny-bopper pop mush. i can't imagine you composing anything close to those two (it would insult your intelligence?)...and if you ever do (que horror!) that would be the end of the world! haha!

hellgod said...

yeah, i know it would be uncharacteristic of me to write about some romantic bullshit... and yes, the day i write a teeny-bopper pop love song is the day i turn myself in to the cops for genocide.

peejay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
peejay said...

hey there. been checking your blog out for a couple of weeks now. just couldn't resist letting you know: if you haven't heard of them yet, you gotta check out this local group called orange and lemons. they do fantastic covers of the smiths, and i think i've heard them sing "there is a light..." before, as well as more mainstream hits like "heaven knows i'm miserable now" and "the more you ignore me, the closer i get." if you can't see and hear moz(aka morrissey) himself, these guys are the next best thing. their originals aren't too shabby either.

PJ <-- tequila-man and AR fan

hellgod said...

hey pj!

onga eh, orange and lemons sound like the smiths, pati yung accent ng vox nila hehe... pero somehow, i'm not as interested with them as much as i am with the smiths... pero no question about it, orange and lemons are a kick ass band