Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Short Story and the Long Thought

One thing that sunk on to me recently: my job satisfaction is directly proportional to how well I do tasks. It's not really about the job description, the oppportunities that I get, or (at least for the moment) how much I get paid. It's about how well I do whatever it is that I do. In a sense, the less cleaning up I have to do, the happier I am. While that might be good from a certain standpoint because I can always claim that my hapiness (on the professional level) is solely dependent on my own efforts, a change of view should do a lot of good in assessing my career trajectory. Certainly, it is important to care about how well I do my work and to measure my fulfillment through the fruits of my efforts. However, the other side of the coin says that it's also important to just go back to the basics and think about what the hell I am doing and evaluate THAT.

I'm nearing the Year 1 milestone of my first job, and now I'm realizing that "so far so good" is just not a good enough answer to "How's your job?" anymore. I think now's the time to think hard about where I want to be and how do I take myself there. I haven't done something big and significant in a long while. Now's the time to clean up.

6 complaints:

janny said...

apt title...makes me think of what i've been running as a background proc :) will you be the next one to take the plunge? (tgnan mo blog ni ariel..)

hellgod said...

Nah, I don't think I'm up to that.

Not right now anyway. :)

mhia said...

there's a bug going round ;)

infobuilder said...

tell me about it!

i've had one long chat last night with ariel and there are a lot of things i learned and realized for myself...

being satisfied with your job is relative, i guess, but looking for a clear career path is something that we should definitely start thinking about...

sabay kanta:
"
where do we go from here...
this isn't where we inteded to be...
"

employee coffee talk ba na naman ito? :p

geebee said...

Interesting... very interesting. :)

Mich said...

shucks lahat kayo seryoso nag-iisip sa mga career niyo... parang ako come what may pa rin... and 2 years na ako