Sunday, February 8, 2009

Best Music Of The Year, Question Mark.

So the Grammy Awards will be handing out its awards later today, and here's my take on some of the categories (actually, these are the categories I've managed to find out of google that interested me.)

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, Raising Sand
Coldplay, Viva La Vida
Ne-Yo, Year Of The Gentleman
Lil Wayne, Tha Carter III
Radiohead, In Rainbows

I only have In Rainbows and Viva La Vida, and between the two, I think I like Viva La Vida more, but I prefer Radiohead's discography in general, and they haven't won this award yet, and I think it's time they should.

SONG OF THE YEAR
"American Boy," William Adams, Keith Harris, Josh Lopez, Caleb Speir, John Stephens, Estelle Swaray & Kanye West, songwriters (Estelle Featuring Kanye West, artist)
"Chasing Pavements," Adele Adkins & Eg White, songwriters (Adele, artist)
"I'm Yours," Jason Mraz, songwriter (Jason Mraz, artist)
"Love Song," Sara Bareilles, songwriter (Sara Bareilles, artist)
"Viva La Vida," Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion & Chris Martin, songwriters (Coldplay, artist)

This is actually a very solid list of nominees, unlike previous years where some songs just make you go WTF?! That said, I want Adele to win this. She is awesome.

RECORD OF THE YEAR
Adele, "Chasing Pavements"
Coldplay, "Viva La Vida"
Leona Lewis, "Bleeding Love"
M.I.A., "Paper Planes"
Robert Plant and Alison Kraus, "Please Read The Letter"

Even though Viva La Vida has that catchy chorus, I actually prefer Violet Hill. So go Adele again. (Although I wouldn't be surprised if Plant and Kraus turn out to be the Grammy equivalent of Oscar-bait epic dramas?)

BEST ROCK ALBUM
Coldplay, Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
Kid Rock, Rock N Roll Jesus
Kings Of Leon, Only By The Night
Metallica, Death Magnetic
Raconteurs, Consolers Of The Lonely

I love the new KOL album, but it looks like this category is Coldplay all the way.

BEST ROCK SONG
Bruce Springsteen, "Girls In Their Summer Clothes"
Radiohead, "House Of Cards"
Death Cab For Cutie, "I Will Possess Your Heart"
Kings Of Leon, "Sex On Fire"
Coldplay, "Violet Hill"

I'd be happy if any of the four bands take this.

BEST POP PERFORMANCE, FEMALE
Adele, "Chasing Pavements"
Sara Bareilles, "Love Song"
Duffy, "Mercy"
Leona Lewis, "Bleeding Love"
Katy Perry, "I Kissed A Girl"
Pink, "So What"

Adele, Duffy (even though there are more songs on Duffy's Rockferry album that are better than Mercy, imo) or Sara Bareilles would be a satsifying win. Please don't let Katy Perry's gimmick to stardom win an award.

BEST ALTERNATIVE ALBUM
Beck, Modern Guilt
Death Cab For Cutie, Narrow Stairs
Gnarls Barkley, The Odd Couple
My Morning Jacket, Evil Urges
Radiohead, In Rainbows

In Rainbows! Woohoo!

BEST NEW ARTIST
Adele
Duffy
The Jonas Brothers
Lady Antebellum
Jazmine Sullivan

If Adele or Duffy lose to The Jonas Brothers, I'm going on a tween murder spree. Like, srsly!


----------------
Now playing: Adele - Chasing Pavements
via FoxyTunes

0 complaints: