Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Flaming Red Horizon

I studied in a Catholic school my whole life, from kindergarten to college. But I don't think I really grew up to be religious at all, as much as I just simply grew up to be afraid of being unreligious.

--------------------------------

I don't remember when the last time I heard mass at church was. I think it was at Christmas eve last year, since I remember how annoyed I was that the whole thing was taking way too much time. Not that I found hearing mass during Christmas eve an inconvenience to my well-fed soul, but I just remember how annoyed I was with how they managed to make MASS at CHURCH so overwrought like it was some cheesy Sunday afternoon variety show. What??!? Since when did we need to have kids dancing in front of the altar, or old people singing
barely tuneful songs that was only tangentially related to the whole point of why we were there in the first place, or various announcements about who won some community raffle and how to buy raffle tickets for the next self-serving one? Why make a supposedly solemn one hour of inherently personal time of worship for God into an annoying two hour extravaganza filled with unnecessary fodder?

Now that I think of it, I think that was what drove me away from going to mass at the church I've been hearing mass from ever since I was a kid. I hated how they made it so contrived and overdone and overly elaborate.

Or maybe I was just looking for a better excuse to stop going to mass on Sundays.


----------------
Now playing: Jeff Buckley - Eternal Life
via FoxyTunes

12 complaints:

lateralus said...

It's funny that I'll be making this comment but I'll say it anyway. This whole "personal reflection" shtick doesn't really appeal to all people. With television being a major force, the people in the clergy have to be more umm... resourceful and innovative with the way they package mass. the church was able to to do it in the past centuries with elaborate architecture, ornate altars and over-the-top garb for the priests.

Well, those wouldn't work now so this is what you guys get. :p

infobuilder said...

there should be a better way to package a mass though. something less variety-show-like... :p my thoughts only though...

its getting to materialistic for a venue that is suppose to promote spiritualism.

kid repetitive said...

Benj: yeah, the best-looking buildings I've seen are churches and cathedrals. And I really do understand their effort in trying to bring in more people to hear church. I just hate that this is how they do it (in the parish church in my place anyway).

Probably works for most people though, since the church is always packed.

kid repetitive said...

Mike: You go to church? :p I actually don't find anything wrong with materialism as far as making a church look beautiful is concerned. (On an ironic note, the church I'm talking about has been under construction for more than 10 years now. They can't finish it because they don't have enough funds.) It's the noon-time show shtick that I find unappealing. Sure, it's a great way to get people involved, but sticking an unrelated program in the middle of mass is too much, imo.

aajao said...

church gimmicks? do they have to do that?

Michelle said...

Dati umaabot 2 hours yung xmas eve mass sa church namin dahil madaming sayaw2x but I think they did away with it starting last year... Siguro may umangal or something hehehe

lateralus said...

Anyway's the rcc is not efficient. It is not what you think it is. Much of it is fluffy pageantry.

Kung gusto mo ng kaayusan, sumama kay aajao. hehehe

kid repetitive said...

Ano ba si aajao, Taoist? :P

The strange thing is, there was one time when I went to a non-Catholic Christian service, and it's got lots and lots of gospel songs sung by a pop-sounding choir. But I didn't mind it at all. I actually liked it a lot. I guess it's just a matter of what my state of mind is at the time.

totomai said...

looks like we're on the same boat. LOL! i grew up in a catholic school too (elementary to college). di nga makaintindi ng ilonggo na misa, nasanay sa english.

anyway, yes, its annoying when a supposed-to-be-a-solemn service is turned to a musical-extravaganza-like celebration. haha. that's why i'm sometimes thankful to studio 23 - tutok sa harap ng tv kahit nakapantulog. isang oras lang. after nun, tulog uli :-)

kid repetitive said...

Taga Iloilo ka pala? hehehe...

lateralus said...

Re: Jon Go ask him yourself. hehe

Re: Totomai Taga Bacolod ata sya

totomai said...

yup, bacolod ako :-)