Tuesday, November 6, 2007

And you were the places that I wanted to go

I've been away from home for 8 weeks now, so I figure right about now would be the perfect time for me to wax poetic about how much I miss home, how homesick I am etc etc... But I can't, because I'm not. I've just been having such a great time here enjoying every second of this experience that I have no time to be homesick. Of course, there are some things in the Philippines that I'm dying to see again. But I figure, I'll only be here for 3 months... Why waste those three months on thinking about how much I miss what I'll be going back to for the rest of my life? You know what I mean?

Anyway having said that, I do miss my family and friends. That's a given. Even though I've met a lot of friendly people here in Poland, those people back home can't be replaced. (Naks!)

And I do miss Filipino food. Luckily, we met the Filipino Community here in Poland (yes, all 9 of them) who invited us to a gathering last All Saints' Day holiday, and where there's a Filipino community, there's sure to be Filipino food :D There was adobo, lechon manok, lumpia, Pinoy-style spaghetti, and my favorite, caldereta! So that really helped ease out the "I miss Filipino food" part (and anyway, if you see me now, you probably won't believe I'm missing any kind of food whatsoever, haha. I think I've gained more than 10 pounds since I got here. waaaah...)

------------------------------------------------------------

Right now, it's 0 degrees outside. And tomorrow (at least according to Yahoo weather), it will be snowing in Warsaw! That's gonna be a first for me (experiencing snow, I mean) and as much as that may seem exciting, I really really really was hoping it won't snow until we leave. Because snow would only mean it's gotten colder. And it's already too coooold for my tropical ass!

I saw some pictures of my Boracay trip from last year and from earlier this year, and it really really made me wish for the sun and the heat and the general tropical weather of the Philippines. The sun barely shines here, and if it does shine, it doesn't even sting the skin like it does in Manila at 12 in the afternoon. I wouldn't have thought I'd miss that, but there you go.

------------------------------------------------------------

Last weekend, we made our way to the town of Malbork and the city of Gdansk way up north by the Baltic coast. We went to Malbork to visit its castle, which is the largest Gothic castle in Europe, and the largest brick castle in the world. It was the seat of the Teutonic Order in the medieval times, and walking through its grounds and halls, you could really feel the grandness of it all. Gdansk is a port city on the Baltic Sea and has one of the most beautiful city squares in Poland, in my opinion. I'll post pictures and talk more about them on my next entry :D

----------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: The latest season of The Amazing Race is now on! WOOOOOHOOOOO!


----------------
Now playing: Sigur Rós - Hoppipolla
via FoxyTunes

10 complaints:

abumelt said...

huwaw, it's all so pretty! lucky you! i'd take the cold weather for three months in exchange for pretty places to see. i have made a pact with my cousin, that in 7 years, we will have saved up enough money to tour Europe by ourselves and enjoy all it's glory. 7 years man. and you're there now :P

monsterboy said...

That's the great thing about homesickness. You can only feel it when the intended duration is indefinite.

alvin said...

Ronnie: Yeah, of course when you're enjoying yourself so much, there's always the case of idontwannaleaveyetsickness...

Mel: Didn't the La Casita peeps make a same pact back in college :p

aajao said...

hey. i'd like to hear about your first snow experience. sana hindi lang flurries yung ma-experience mo. :)

Michelle said...

"The sun barely shines here, and if it does shine, it doesn't even sting the skin like it does in Manila at 12 in the afternoon. "
--> Unfortunately it can barely penetrate the clouds hehehe I wouldn't mind a little bit of heat to guard against the icy cold :p

"and anyway, if you see me now, you probably won't believe I'm missing any kind of food whatsoever, haha. I think I've gained more than 10 pounds since I got here. waaaah..."
--> wahahaha true true! :p I know I gained weight kasi sumisikip na non-stretch pants ko but I'll know how much when we get home :p Dun na ko magpapapayat mwahahaha

alvin said...

aajao: yeah, the snow fall this time of the year have mostly just been very light... Last week, I think it only snowed for 2 days. Pwede na haha

lateralus said...

I hope it snows in Bangkok when I go there, oh wait...


Damn you lucky guy. Haha. I'm really wondering why HP invested in Eastern Europe.LOL.

alvin said...

Hey, they investred in South East Asia, didn't they?

Benj said...

why? we southeast asians are the supreme race!

waittaminute! You're fareast asian!LOL

alvin said...

why? we southeast asians are the supreme race!

True, but Central and Eastern Europeans are hot. So I guess that's why. =D