Saturday, March 14, 2009

Trip of the Month

This month's awesome trip was brought to us by...







Singapore! (and KL)







Before I rave about the trip, let me just say:

  1. See that small blue thing on the lower left part of the pic, about half an inch away from One Fullerton? That's supposed to be the Merlion, but it got struck by lightning the week before, so it's all shy and covered up now.
  2. Singaporean taxi drivers must've sucked all the awesomeness from Malaysian taxi drivers. Because Malaysian taxi drivers? Not awesome.
  3. I should've used Tricia's classic line about hostels on my travel-mates. No illusions of grandeur when you're paying 20 SGD a night on hostels! Lol. (Fernloft FTW!)
  4. Singapore Zoo was really nice, but we got rained out, so we didn't get to walk around as much as we wanted. Boo!
  5. Sentosa is a bit expensive, and for such a huge island, there aren't that many things to do there...
Now for the raving...

Well... Singapore was nice and all. It's orderly, mostly efficient, modern and has all the trappings of a big city without all the hassle. I'm not exactly jumping out of my seat here, but that's not really a criticism on SG. I just like my cities to be rugged, chaotic and falling over itself with life and adventure, and I like my countries to be filled with scenery and beaches and nature.

At least that's what I use as a reason on why I'm not uploading a resume on monster.sg yet.

Clark Quay and the Marina area is pretty nice. And I got to try the G-Max reverse bungee with Mike. It's hella expensive (and Mike didn't want to treat me for the giant swing ride, so we didn't do that), but really, really, really, fun. Definitely a highlight of the trip (for me at least, everyone else didn't want to try it for their own reasons...)

The other highlight of the trip is of course, the company I applied for was with. My HK (now HK/SG) travel friends were fun as always (only Primo and Mats weren't able to come. Mats was supposed to be with us, but didn't realize that his passport was expiring in less than 6 months, or that you're supposed to have a passport that won't be expiring within 6 months to be able to enter another country...) Where next peeps? And it was also nice seeing former officemates Karon, Mike (who left for a quick Manila trip on the same weekend we were there...), Ben, Jyue, and Malvin, and college friend and loyal merienda buddy Del, who are all now based in Singapore earning lots of money.

On the 3rd day of our trip, we took a quick side trip to Kuala Lumpur, which is a 5-hour bus ride from SG (and what a cool bus! We rode a 20-seater double-decker bus, fully reclineable seats with individual monitors for movies.) Our main objective was to get to Petronas and go up the skybridge. We got there by 4, had breakfast at McDonald's, and headed straight to the Petronas Towers lobby to line up for tickets to the skybridge. It's my second time in KL, and the Petronas Towers is as awesome as I remembered it. Malaysian taxi drivers flat out suck though.

Taking it all in, Singapore (and KL) was really nice. But now I can't wait for Coron next month!



----------------
Now playing: Modest Mouse - Paper Thin Walls
via FoxyTunes

7 complaints:

infobuilder said...

Vin - if you had more time, you could have seen the rugged side of SG. It won't be chaotic or falling over itself but there are other things that you can find exciting, scenic and adventure-some.

Btw, beaches aren't that far away. Although, it is in a different country. :) What can we expect from a country the size of Metro Manila. :p hehehe...

Next time, spend more time.

alvin, kid repetitive said...

If you pay for my plane ticket, I'll be there, kahit mamayang gabi pa yan.

Hahaha

geebee said...

Sentosa is a bit expensive, and for such a huge island, there aren't that many things to do there...

>> Free naman entrance. (Well, except for the ride going there.) But yun nga lang lahat ng papasukan mo na attraction kelangan bayaran.

Singapore was nice and all. It's orderly, mostly efficient, modern and has all the trappings of a big city without all the hassle.

>> Exactly why I fell in love with that city.

At least that's what I use as a reason on why I'm not uploading a resume on monster.sg yet.

>> =D

I got to try the G-Max reverse bungee with Mike. It's hella expensive (and Mike didn't want to treat me for the giant swing ride, so we didn't do that)

>> When I was there, Ben was more than willing to pay for my ride and to pay for the video too. The trick is to act that you're absolutely scared of riding it and you just don't want to do it. =D

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Eh Geebee, it's a given naman na kahit bayaran ka pa ng 5% of your monthly salary, you still won't be going on to that ride...

geebee said...

alvin, baka for 1M pesos pumayag na akong sumakay dun. hehe.

bakit naman 5% yung ginamit mong figure? anything significant with 5%? hahahaha.

lateralus said...

haha. "the company your applied for"

Anyone who resigns these days is a brave man - read: stupid.

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Or lucky. I know someone who is leaving my company for SG (probably with a HUUUGE salary bump)

Diba ***? :))