Friday, January 23, 2009

2 Rounds and 2 Misses

The first two rounds of the Australian Open just ended and after 4 days of play, most of the major contenders for the title are still alive.

All except for Venus Williams, who just lost her 2nd round match earlier today to 20-year old Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain. Venus played really well at the end of the year and I pegged her to reach the quarterfinals, but I'm really rooting for Elena D. to win this thing and Venus losing early is a good thing for Elena, so woohoo!

Another player messing up my predictions is David Nalbandian, who I predicted will lose to Federer in the semis (after he beat defending champ Novak Djokovic.) He lost to Taiwanese Yen-Hsun Lu (go Asian!) in a 3hr55min-5 setter.

And yes, me getting my predictions right is more important than these players getting match wins.

The 3rd round starts tomorrow with some really interesting matches:

  1. Federer faces former No. 1 and 2-time Grand Slam champ Marat Safin,
  2. The awesome Dane Caroline Wozniacki faces Aussie Jelena Dokic, who is making a nice comeback from loserhood,
  3. Underachieving talents Richard Gasquet and Fernando Gonzales face each other
  4. Underrated talents Gilles Simon and Mario Ancic battle each other.
  5. Newcomer Victoria Azarenka against former champ Amelie Mauresmo
  6. Ana Ivanovic meets Alisa Kleybanova and I predict an upset.
  7. Daniela Hantuchova vs Alize Cornet (no reason, I just wanted to mention Daniela.)


----------------
Now playing: Coldplay - Lost! (Acoustic Version)
via FoxyTunes

0 complaints: