Saturday, April 2, 2011

Life in a duffle bag.

Life in a duffle bag. Eating pancit canton cooked by my mom. Emo at 4am.


In about 13 hours, I'll be leaving Manila and will be moving my life to Singapore. I should be excited, and to be honest, I think it's fair to say that March 2011 has clearly been one of the most awesome months of my entire life, and I can't wait for what April has in store for me.

But I just can't help myself from not feeling a bit down when I look at my now near-empty closet, and look at the two small bags that now hold all the carefully chosen stuff that I'll be bringing with me. I think it's the realization that I can't take the most important stuff in my life with me and put them in those two small bags.

The reason why March 2011 became a clear highlight in the timeline of my life wasn't really because I've found a job in a nice and shiny city, but because in the last two weeks, I've managed to reconnect with all my friends from most points in my life in a more profound way. We weren't just drinking because we wanted to get drunk (but yeah, that too...) We were drinking because we knew that the distance that was gonna exist between us after April 2 will surely affect our relationships, even if we try as hard as we can to convince each other that we'll be keeping in touch and nothing will change. We set aside a time to have dinner together because we knew that it's gonna take a long, long time again until we get to sit down in front of each other and just talk about our lives, and get what each other is saying without much explanation.

I can't help but feel down right now, at 4 in the morning, because I'm realizing how much I love these people (you) that I'll be moving away from, and your lives will move on, and my life will move on, and maybe when our paths cross again, we've already gotten used to not seeing each other, not getting drunk together, not eating together, or not understanding each others' jokes.

Fuck it. If you're still reading this up to here, could you do me a favor and not let that happen?

Also, thank you.

17 complaints:

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Ok. Glad I got that out of my system. Now back to packing. Haha :D

Mhia said...

awww, i'll miss u, travel buddy! haha isa ka pa naman sa pinakamadaling yayain :P

cheers to your new adventures in SG!

we'll surely see each other again, yeah? :)

luvya!

rexyjolly said...

Senti blog FTW! :))

Own the world, Alvin! ;)

Maie said...

Aww.. Imma mishu mr. F na F! :p
Good luck in SG!
Magsipag ka pumasok at wag magpakalate :))
I'll see you soon, Alvin!

*mwah*

Geebee said...

Wala bang "Like" button dito?

Nicely written farewell.

Isipin mo na lang you'll get to reconnect with old friends here. =)

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Mia: don't worry, tingin ko magiging kaladkarin pa rin naman ako sa mga trips (sana lang madaling magpaalam ng leave sa amin.) At magkikita talaga tayo ulit, kasi susunod ka dun diba? haha

Rexy Jolly: Don't I already? haha joke lang. Me already! :)))

Maie: Yup, we've done HK, next ASAP Mgmt teambuilding, dapat sa Singapore! Mas madali pang makakasunod si Mel :D

Geebs: Onga, chance to reconnect with aged old friends, and meet new ones.

Mich said...

Emo post! Alvin, kaw ba yan? hahaha :p

Di mo na magiging mug ang gamit mo for 5 years yung may Php50 na design... But baka mas magagamit mo na ang cool clock na regalo ko kaya maaalala mo pa rin ako mwahaha :p

Good luck on the next chapter of your career! Libre mo kami sa susunod na uwi mo ha hehehe

abumelt said...

New place to live, new stuff to discover, new people to know, new knowledge to learn.

Besides, SG is just a few hours away anyway. Para ka lang nagpuntang QC from Las Pinas pag traffic, pero sa plane. :P

Mike S. said...

Wow! At akala ko Alvin was the antonym of emo... I thought wrong. :D

Life is always moving forward. It's either we fight it or ride with it and see where it takes us. The most important thing is that we never forget how to trek back. Because, back is always home. :)

Welcome to Singapore bagong bayani! :D

Anonymous said...

Mr PEXTAR WINNER:

Think of it this way -

We've always been on the same page regardless of hoe many times we saw each other in person. This post actually seemed true to me until I realized that at least in the context of our friendship - nothing could be farther from what really happens. And yeah, if familiarity between the two of us can be sustained over the last 6 years, I could definitely see how you can continue to foster bonds with your other friends - the people that you actually see a lot and probably know you a lot better.

I guess everything is going to be alright. Just keep the channels open.

-faaip de oiad
PEXTAR 5th placer

Primo said...

Alvin, nice post. Good luck with SG, who knows?

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Thanks Primo, It's been a great week so far! I'll be getting tips from you, since magcha-change management din ako dito haha.

Mike: Hindi ako bagong bayani, hindi naman ako magpapadala ng pera sa Pilipinas eh, akin lang lahat. HAHAHA.

Mel: Tama! And we definitely need to schedule our next LaCasita ppl reunion when you get back from Bordeaux :p

Mich: Onga, hindi ko na nadala yung P50 mug :( Pinamana ko na lang kay Roy kasi iniwan ko na siya sa WFP hehe...

Benj: Wise, sobering words. Salamat.

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Also, thanks for the surprised comments. I take a lot of pride in how good I am with staying stoic, so I'm happy that this post actually surprised you guys haha.

Anonymous said...

Pardon the occasional comment from a stranger.

I've moved to two different cities in the past 10 years. What's surprising is that you will make new friends: some good, some bad, most lukewarm. Eventually, you'll probably feel no need to make new friends, which is a good thing, too; it'll enable you to keep in touch with the ones you really like.

Moving away from home has allowed Life to surprise me a little; and I'm not disappointed. I hope you embrace your new life in Singapore.

All the best.

Kind regards.

M

alvin, kid repetitive said...

Hey M, thanks for the comment! Been here for two months and I'm really enjoying this living-in-a-new-country thing. A lot. I've managed to reconnect with old friends, meet many new friends (and fortunately haven't met any nasty ones yet...) And you're absolutely right about the 3rd point. I'm pretty sure that I've managed to stay connected with the friends back home that I really do like. Haha!

Analie Casuncad said...

Why not life in a septic tank? Parang "Ang Babae sa Septik Tank".

Thesis Writing said...

Great post and some really useful tips there. I love resource lists like this. Have social bookmarked it in the hope that others can also benefit.