The first two rounds of the Australian Open just ended and after 4 days of play, most of the major contenders for the title are still alive.
All except for Venus Williams, who just lost her 2nd round match earlier today to 20-year old Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain. Venus played really well at the end of the year and I pegged her to reach the quarterfinals, but I'm really rooting for Elena D. to win this thing and Venus losing early is a good thing for Elena, so woohoo!
Another player messing up my predictions is David Nalbandian, who I predicted will lose to Federer in the semis (after he beat defending champ Novak Djokovic.) He lost to Taiwanese Yen-Hsun Lu (go Asian!) in a 3hr55min-5 setter.
And yes, me getting my predictions right is more important than these players getting match wins.
The 3rd round starts tomorrow with some really interesting matches:
- Federer faces former No. 1 and 2-time Grand Slam champ Marat Safin,
- The awesome Dane Caroline Wozniacki faces Aussie Jelena Dokic, who is making a nice comeback from loserhood,
- Underachieving talents Richard Gasquet and Fernando Gonzales face each other
- Underrated talents Gilles Simon and Mario Ancic battle each other.
- Newcomer Victoria Azarenka against former champ Amelie Mauresmo
- Ana Ivanovic meets Alisa Kleybanova and I predict an upset.
- Daniela Hantuchova vs Alize Cornet (no reason, I just wanted to mention Daniela.)
----------------
Now playing: Coldplay - Lost! (Acoustic Version)
via FoxyTunes
0 complaints:
Post a Comment